Need help now and want to talk to someone?
National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255 or TEXT 839863
Iowa County WI Hotline 1-800-362-5717
About Us You Care Donation Campaign (Ends July 9)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Instagram: suicide_prevention_iowa_co._wi
- Facebook: Suicide Prevention Coalition of Iowa County WI
- "Like" us and you will automatically receive weekly updates and information
Our team: We are a group of concerned citizens from a variety of professions ranging from law enforcement, mortician, therapist, educators, religious personnel, medical personnel, and Survivors of a Suicide loss.
Mission statement: Because we value human life, the mission of Suicide Prevention of Iowa County is to prevent suicide through awareness, education, collaboration, and improved access to mental health care.
Our Vision is suicide-free communities where people will recognize the warning signs, intervene, and help individuals find hope.
Our Accomplishments (2014-Present)
- Suicide Awareness Night at Sporting event in the schools -
- Dodgeville, River Valley, & Iowa-Grant
- Teamed with SW Funeral Directors Assoc. , Elmer Biddick Foundation, & Lands End Business Outfitters Inventory, Merchandising, Sourcing and Design Department as T-Shirt Sponsors.
- Spaghetti Dinner by St. Mary/Paul Catholic Confirmation Group.
- Helicopter Golf Ball Drop / Suicide Memorial Walk
- Public Service Announcements (PSA) -
- Team with Wisconsin Chapter of The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to place a billboard in Iowa County thanks to the Donations in Memory of Jeffery Sweeney.
- Channel 47 (Month of February) & Channel 3 (mid February to Mid March).
- Movie Theatres in Dodgeville, Lancaster, Boscobel, & Platteville - Full year.
- Radio Public Service & Newspaper Public Service Announcements
- Created Symbol for teachers to put on their doors so staff and students know it's a safe place to talk about suicide. Approved through DPI.
- QPR Training - 100 - Barneveld EMT, Hidden Valley Church,
- Memorial Day Shoe Display
- Day of Bliss (2)- afternoon of free relaxation and art therapy
- Present to Community Service Groups - MP Kiwanis, MP School Staff
- SOS Peer Support group 2nd Thursday of each Month
- Paid for individuals to get trained in Suicide Prevention and QPR.
- Sponsored Art Therapy Sessions for Grief & Loss, along with Stress Relief.
- Launched Campaign with 13 Chamber of Commerce & 12 School Districts
- Host Suicide Memorial Walk
- Helicopter Golf Ball Drop Fundraiser
- SOS Peer Support group 2nd Thursday of each Month
- Radio Public Service & Newspaper Public Service Announcements that will go throughout 2016.
- QPR Trained in Iowa Co. - over 200 - Upland Hills Health, UW-Extension Office, WI Dept of Ag, St. Mary's/Paul's Catholic Church & UCC Church Mineral Point.
- Partnered with Upland Hills Health Also, distributed table top brochure holders to all medical centers in Iowa County displaying the Suicide Prevention Resources in Iowa County brochures.
- Mental Health Fair with CESA #3
- QPR Training of Trainers
- Survivors of Suicide Support Group Facilitator Training (SOS)
- Started SOS Support Group
- Partnership with: Iowa County Sheriffs Department, Upland Hills Health
- Fundraiser- Helicopter Golf Ball Drop
- Started Suicide Memorial Walk
- started presenting to community action groups & county board committee
- July started the Suicide Prevention Coalition of Iowa County WI
- Partnership with CESA #3
- Presented to CESA #3 superintendents meeting
- Created and printed 1500 suicide resource brochures and distributed them throughout Iowa County.
- website set up: www.Suicide-IowaCountyWI.org
- Facebook page: Suicide Prevention Coalition of Iowa County WI
- Suicide prevention information monthly in Church bulletins, CESA#3 Newsletter, Veterans affairs, Compassionate Friends & ADRC
- Hired professionals from Journey Mental Health to come once a month and present on mental health issues related to suicide.
July 4th, 2017 @ 6:00pm- 8:30pm
Ridgeway (WI) Ball Park
608 Main Street - behind the water tower
July 4th,2017 @ 8:00pm
$10 each (payable to: SWCAP- Suicide Prevention)
Pay out 7 places starting at $250-$50
BUY @ Royal Banks (Spring Green & Cobb), Bars in RIdgeway, Farmers Saving Ridgeway
Sunday, May 28, 2017
Soldiers Memorial Park in Mineral Point
Corner of Copper St. & Shake Rag St.
Staff photos by Marisa Wojcik |
Shoe displays commemorate those who took their own lives and help those in trouble realize they aren’t walking alone.
UCC Church will be sponsoring a Suicide Memorial of Shoes. Everyone is asked to bring a pair of shoes that represent the loved one you loss to suicide and paint or write your loved ones name on the shoes, if you do not want to alter the look of the shoes, the name is not required. Please Print to inert in opening of shoe for display.
Please print this sheet to put in the toe of the shoe for returning purposes.
Bring the shoes to Soldiers Memorial Park in Mineral Point at 10:00am near the creek that runs along Shake Rag Street and Copper street (near the ball diamond and basketball courts.) The shoes will be displayed near the creek in Soldiers Memorial Park for people to observe and a banner explaining why they are there. You will be able to pick up your shoes at 4:00pm.
If you are unable to pick up or drop off the shoes on that day please e-mail me (SPCICWI@gmail.com) or Drop them off at Keuler Insurance Agency on High Street in Mineral Point.
Please spread the word, this is very healing and non threatening way to get involved.
More Articles on Shoe Memorials:
Sacred Heart Hospital Healing Garden- Eau Claire, WI
Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco, CA